Snow coming 2/9/17! Here are some tips to reduce your chance of injury
- Warm up your entire body 1st before heading outside. This can include arm circles, jumping jacks, burpees, leg swings, jog in place. Increasing your body temperature will improve muscle function out in the cold.
- Hydrate before shoveling snow. Attempt to drink 3-4- 8oz glasses of water 2-3 hours before heading outside.
- Use an ergonomically designed shovel to reduce stress on the low back. If heavy snow, take sections to complete and rest in between.
- If using a snowblower, push with arms close to your body and drive with legs letting machine do the work.
- Every 10-15min, perform 5-10 backward bends to reduce stress on low back.
- Finish the work off with some hot soup or hot chocolate and lightly stretch muscles on floor in front of your fireplace!
Be safe and call dbOrtho PT if any pain develops that does not resolve. Remember, no referral or prescription is required to see a physical therapist for immediate pain interventions. Lincroft 732-747-1262 Manalapan 732-462-2162